Amazon Web Service
A. Amazon Web Service IoT Platform Basic Feature
- Device Management and Integration Support
This is the one of important feature that must provide by IoT platform. IoT platform must should maintain device that connected and track operation of each device so the customer can review performance and statictic from each devices.
- Information Security
The information security measures required to operate an IoT platform are much higher than general software applications and services. Each message that send in or out through IoT platform must be encrypted to avoid eavesdropping. IoT platform also need to separate the traffic to private network and apply authentication and authorization in every device that connected.
- Data Collection Protocol
Another important aspect which needs attention is the types of protocols used for data communication between the components of an IoT software platform. IoT platform must be provide lightweight protocol so the device will not be drained too much power and in order to save bandwith. IoT platform also need to be adapt for different protocol or custom protocol so devices that use different protocol still can be communicate each other.
- Data Analystic
The data collected from the sensors connected to an IoT platform needs to be analysed in an intelligent manner in order to obtain meaningful insights.
There are four main types of analytics which can be conducted on IoT data: real-time, batch, predictive, and interactive analytics.
- Amazon Web Service IoT Platform
AWS IoT is a platform that collects and analyzes data from internet-connected devices and sensors and connects that data to AWS cloud applications. AWS IoT can collect data from billions of devices and connect them to endpoints for other AWS tools and services, allowing a developer to tie that data into an application realibly and securely.
Secure device connection
AWS IoT supports HTTP, Websockets, and MQTT. AWS IoT also support other industry-standard and custom protocols that customers may have already implemented, and devices can communicate directly with each other in different-protocols. AWS IoT scales as the number of devices grows, providing connectivity with low latency and high throughput on a global scale.
Secure data and interaction
AWS IoT provide mutual auth so the data never exchanged between devices and will encrypts all data that coming into and out of connected devices. AWS IoT fully integrated with AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM), so the customer can permission for individual devices or fleets of devices and manage devices through device lifecycle. Customer also can generate and embed security credential in the existing devices or generate the new ones on the first connected device.
Process and act upon device data
AWS IoT provide engine that lets customer define rules that can filter, transform, and route data between devices, AWS services, and application based on customer business rules. Customer can also update the rules so it can fit in the new device and application feature any time.
Read and set device state at any time
AWS IoT create virtual version of every device and save the last state of each device so the app or other device can interact with them although the device that interact to is in offline mode. By provide always-available REST APIs, app can read latest state of a device and AWS IoT will adjust setting the correct state and will send any relevant change to the device when it reconnects.
C. How AWS IoT Work ?
AWS IoT Service SDK
To make the device connect to the AWS IoT, first of all customer need the AWS IoT Device SDK that help customer easily and quickly connect their hardware device or mobile device app. With this SDK they can connect, auth, and exchange between devices with AWS IoT.
Authentication & Authorization
After devices connected with AWS IoT SDK, message will be send through the authentication and authorization process so the message will not be exchanged between devices. Connections using HTTP can use either of AWS method of authentication, while connections using MQTT use certificate based authentication, and connections using WebSockets can use SigV4.
If the message/data have been authenticated, it will be send to device gateway so the message can pass thru’ to rules engine or device shadows. In this gateway, device can securely and efficiently communicate with AWS IoT. Device Gateway can exchange messages using a publication/subscription model, which enables one-to-one and one-to-many communications.
After message pass through the gateway, message can be pass to this engine. The Rules Engine evaluates inbound messages published into AWS IoT and transforms and delivers them to another device or a cloud service, based on business rules that customer define. A rule can apply to data from one or many devices, and it can take one or many actions in parallel. With rules engine, Customer can also update the rules so it can fit in the new device and application feature any time.
Other option that message can pass to. With device shadow, AWS IoT will create ‘copy’ or ‘virtual version of each device that includes the device’s latest state so that applications or other devices can read messages and interact with the device although the device is in offline mode.
This part establishes an identity for devices and tracks metadata such as the devices’ attributes and capabilities. The Registry assigns a unique identity to each device that is consistently formatted regardless of the type of device or how it connects.
D. AWS IoT Pricing
With AWS IoT, you pay for only what you use and there are no minimum fees. Prices are based on the number of messages published to AWS IoT. For trial, customer will get 250,000 free message (published/delivered) / month in 12 months. After trial end, customer can pay about $8 per million message (Region Singapore). In transmission, AWS IoT defines a message as one 512-byte block of data.
Pricing example :
Device will send 500-byte message/hour to AWS IoT and AWS IoT send/distribute that message to 5 other device.
Cost $8 per million message (Singapore).
- Send cost : 1 message * 24 hours * 30 days = 720 message / month.
720*($8/1.000.000) = $0,00576/month
- Distribution message cost : 5 device * 1 message * 24 hours * 30 days = 3.600 message / month.
3,600 * ($8/1 million messages) = $0.0288
- Total payment = only $0,03456 / month for send message to AWS IoT and distribution to other devices through AWS IoT.
ThingWorx IoT Platform
ThingWorx is the only enterprise-ready technology platform that enables innovators to rapidly develop and deploy smart, connected solutions for the Internet of Things.
The ThingWorx technology platform was built from the ground up for the Internet of Things. It contains the most complete set of integrated IoT-spesific development tools and capabilities available, offering the industry’s deepest functional capabilities. ThingWorx mkes it easy to develop and deliver powerful IoT solutions that deliver transformative business value.
Specifically designed for innovators looking to quickly deliver to market enterprise-ready IoT solutions, ThingWorx is supported by the most powerfull IoT-focused ecosystem in the market and the industry’s only IoT Marketplace for off-the-shelf extensions.
A. ThingWorx IoT Platform Foundation :
End-to-end security model simplifies the development os secure solutions ongoing role-based access is easily configured for business users, administrators, and developers.
- Model-Driven, Rapid Application Design
Developers deliver high quality, scalable appllications using drag and drop tools for the creation of rich interactive application, dashboard, collaborative workspaces, and mobile interfaces without the need for coding.
Both developers and analysts can work together in live collaboration sessions to communicate more effectively and solve problems faster.
- Flexible Connectivity Options
ThingWorx offers a flexible connectivity strategy that maximizes market opportunity and minimizes intregration, supporting connectivity to devices via several methods.
B. ThingWorx IoT Platform Analytics
ThingWorx analytics enables enterprises to find the true value in their IoT data-to learn from past data, understand and predict the future, and make decisions that will enhance outcomes.
- Watch, monitor edge devices and provide real-time pattern and anomaly detection on real-time data streams.
- Adapt, deliver prescriptive and simulative intelligence that identifies factors that contribute to an outcome and explains how to change a predicted outcome.
- Predict, provide automated predictive modelling and operationalization for a variety of different outcomes. Pattern and anomaly detection on real-time data streams.
- Optimize, automatically operationalize and maintain predictive and simulative intelligence to deliver to end-users.
How ThingWorx Analytics work ?
Thingworx analytics is an integrated capability of the ThingWorx IoT technology platform that enables developers to quickly and easily add real-time pattern and anomaly detection, predictive analytics and simulation to the solutions they build. Thingworx analytics includes multiple layers :
- Thing watcher, finds anomalies from edge devices in real-time. Automatically observes and learns the normal state pattern for every or sensor. It then monitors each for anomalies and delivers real-time alerts to end users.
- Thing Predictor, automatically predicts future outcomes. Subscribes “Things” to relevant outcome-based predictions (time to failure, error per hour, ect). Display result in context to end users through any ThingWorx powered solution or experience. Requires ThingWorx Analytics server.
- Thing Optimizer, improve future performance and result with automated prescriptions and simulations. ThingOptimizer automatically identifies the key causing a given aoutcome. Requires ThingWorx Analytics server.
C. ThingWorx Utilities
ThingWorx utilities are feature-rich tools and mash-ups that enable and support the rapid deployment and adoption of powerful IoT applications.
- Define (Identify the needs of IoT initiatives and how to build aaplication to meet those requirements)
- Monitor (Remotely access, intersct with, and control connected devices)
- Manage (Create, edit, and execute business processes related to connected devices)
- Optimize (Integrate IoT applications and information with exixting business systems)
How ThingWorx Utilities work ?
ThingWorx utilities provide device management capabilities easily used by business analyst and line-of-business users for day-to-day management of connected devices, without the need for developer skills.
IoT Capabilities for Device Management
- Out-of-the-box, pre-defined capabilities to manage and optimize the performance of connected product and assets.
- Includes utilities to provision, remotely monitor, and update connected products and assets.
IoT Process Workflow
- An environment for non-developers to create, edit, and manage business processes related to connected devices.
- Processes can be created to execute across multiple systems, initiated based on alerts and triggers, and driven by decision support rules.
- Connects business processes and people with systems to share common and consistent IoT information across the enterprise.
- Provides a standard framework for creating and implementing pre-built and reusable connectors and integrating exictin business systems with new IoT applications.
D. ThingWorx Studio
ThingWorx studio transforms applications into immersive experiences that enable users to bettes create, service, and operate products in the smart, connected world through augmented reality.
How ThingWorx Studio work ?
ThingWorx Studio democratizes the IoT industry by providing turnkey authoring and publishing for AR (Augmented Reality).
Author an AR experience from existing 3D assets as well as 2D and 3D Controls
Download from the App Store, Google Play, or Microsoft Store point at ThingMark and be immersed in the associated experience.
Unique image placed on a physical object then recognized to launch the experience.
|Platform||Support of heterogeneos devices||Type||Architecture||Open source||Rest||Data Access Control||Service Discovery|
|ThingWorx||Yes||M2M PaaS||Cloud-based||No||Yes||User-based privileges||Yes|
- Mineraud-Julien, Mashelis-Oleksiy, Su-Xiang, Tarkoma-Sasu, (2016). “A gap analysis of Internet-of-Things platforms”
Watson IoT Platform
Watson IOT platform is used for exploiting the potential of the internet of things. Watson IoT platform can simplify the IoT development. Watson IoT platform understands data to optimize operations, manage assets, rethink about the goods and service, and changing the user experience.
A. The Advantages of Watson IoT Platform
- Easy to use, secure, and scalable
- Integrated Solutions
- Change the business way to build a special business, providing solutions that integrate business challenges.
- Being a bridge to connect with industrial world
- Watson Natural Language Processing
Understanding easily and the command by user and then connect it with data sources in order to establish interaction between contexts. Uses: Watson Natural Language Classifier, Watson Conversation, Watson Language Translation, Watson Dialog, Text To Speech, and Speech to Text.
- Watson Machine Learning
Processing and rating the data automaticly based on priority. Applied to IoT for understanding current situation and give action when a problem occurs. Uses: Watson Analytics, Tradeoff Analytics, Apache Spark machine learning, and library.
- Watson Image Video Analytics
Identify the scene and patterns on the video data which is not structured by monitoring the video data and image. Uses: Visual recognition
- Watson Text Analytics
Taking the textual text to determine the relationship and patterns between large data. Uses: AlchemyLanguage
Connecting devices and gateways quickly and safely. Perform device management functions, scale through cloud-based services, and then using rich analytics to gain insight and achieve organizational transformation.
- Information Management and External Data Integration
- Identify, aggregate, and turn data into structured data to be easily analyzed.
- Retrieving data from other sources and platforms to add data and performance, in order to provide more analytical results.
- Utilize a wide range of cloud-based storage as a data historian.
- Integrate historical and real-time data into IoT device.
- Risk and Security Management
- Designed to provide security on the IoT device so that users no need to worry anymore about external threats.
- Protecting the integrity of IoT device through secure connectivity and access control for users and applications.
- Sophisticated dashboards and alerts that can manage the risk and then give an alert. Because security is one of the important thing in IoT environment.
C. How Watson work ?
Watson is a fully managed, cloud-hosted service that makes it simple to derive value from IoT devices. Start with the device, be it a sensor, a gateway or something else. Using our recipes you can get it connected and start sending data securely to the cloud using the open, lightweight MQTT messeging protocol. You can setup and manage your devices using your online dashboard or our secure APIs.
Build your proof of concept today! No credit card is required for the first 30 days of trial. This plan is also available after 30 days with some restrictions.
Try at no charge
$0.00 USD per month
The Lite plan includes up to 500 devices, and 200 MB of data metrics per month.
- Maximum of 500 registered devices
- Maximum of 200 MB exchanged per month
- Maximum of 200 MB analyzed per month
- Maximum of 200 MB analyzed at edge per month
Single tier – no additional costs within the limits of the plan.
Seamlessly migrate to the Standard plan, which includes the Lite plan and additional costs based on usage.
$0.00 USD per month
The Standard plan includes the Lite plan and unlimited registered devices. Pay for what you use by tier.
Tier 1: 1 MB – 450GB
$0.001 USD per MB exchanged
Tier 2: 450GB – 7TB
$0.0007 USD per MB exchanged
Tier 3: 7TB and above
$0.00014 USD per MB exchanged
$0.02 USD per MB analyzed on the cloud
$0.005 USD per MB analyzed at edge
- Advanced Security
Extend Watson IoT Platform capabilities with Threat Intelligence for IoT. Visualize critical risk and create policy-driven mitigation actions.
The Advanced Security plan includes the Lite plan and unlimited registered devices. Pay for what you use by tier.
Tier 1: 1 MB – 450GB
$0.0013 USD per MB exchanged
Tier 2: 450GB – 7TB
$0.00091 USD per MB exchanged
Tier 3: 7TB and above
$0.000182 USD per MB exchanged
$0.02 USD per MB analyzed on the cloud
$0.005 USD per MB analyzed at edge
Reza Irfansyah M (1103130169)
Yoga bagus pambayun (1103130299)
Annisa Rizki Pratiwi Wibowo (1301144391)
Rahajeng anggi puspita (1301144293)